Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 - Projects Accomplished


Well this year we accomplished 3 home projects - wow, wahoo, yippee!!!  I know, I know, we are so awsome, such heavy duty reno-freaks.  Anyway the three amazing projects are, in order from most to least impressive:

1. installed hard-wood floor in the family room.  You can see the during and the after photos posted above and for the before picture you can visualize cream-coloured carpet with some large pee stains thanks to Juno.  I tried and tried to clean the carpet but eventually we decided that we needed to replace the carpet with hardwood.  We had installed laminate in the basement but had never done real hardwood. We bought the hardwood flooring on sale, installed a plywood subfloor, and rented a nailer and compresser, one weekend in early December, and went to work.  We finished late on Sunday with sore muscles, a few scrapes, and a great feeling of self-satisfaction.  I have to say the wood floor looked fab with the Christmas tree.

2.  had a new counter, dishwasher, and bookcase installed in the kitchen.  We didn't do this one ourselves but we have certainly loved the results - especially the dishwasher (which hubby actually did install himself).  We haven't had a dishwasher since we moved into this house in 2001 so that is a lot of sinks full of soapy water.  Sorry no photos, as I'm just too lazy to go and take photos (well to be honest to clean up the counters first, then take the photo, then up-load it to the computer).  We have more to do in the kitchen, so stay tuned.

3.  painted the front door a new colour.  It used to be a dark green colour, that was nice, but a bit 90s, so I picked this new blue and hubby painted the door this past summer.  Then I selected, bought, and hung the wreath - I know, I know, very impressive work on my part.  Isn't that the most beautiful colour of blue - it is called Georgian Bay by Benjamin Moore.  Not only do I love the colour but we go to a family cottage on Georgian Bay in the summer so it has fond associations for us.

Anyway there you have the three projects we did.  Not earth-shattering, but  made our home a little homier. 

4 comments:

  1. Those hardwood floors look amazing and I love your wall color!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We still have to put the quarter-round down. We had to stop because Christmas was coming but now we have no excuses. We even have the quarter-round lying under the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, what a transformation. The room looks amazing and you know I love that chair. I think they must look good painted any color. Of course, I love the floors too. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little late on this one, but I wanted to tell you that Candice Olsen would be proud of that family room! The floors and the lovely wall color are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete