Sunday, October 30, 2011

Hallowe'en Magazine Copy-Cat Challenge

Debbie over at Debbiedoo's Blogging and Blabbing is having a magazine copy-cat challenge.  Actually she's had several over the past year or so, but I've never been able to join in any of them as they always came at at time when I was super busy.  Well I vowed this time to get something organized.  


I looked around at different magazine pictures and really liked the one below.  The cute little ghosties made out of painted gourds especially caught my eye.


BHG
I started by going to the grocery store and buying myself three butternut squash to use - that way it would be a frugal as well as fun craft, as we would eat the squash afterward.  Squash are a lot more expensive than I thought though, as buying three of them set me back $10.  So when I mentioned to my husband that I was going to paint them white and then we would eat them afterward, he didn't think that was such a wise idea - you know paint leaking through the skin into the flesh of the gourd and all.   


I had to agree that was a problem, so after discussing a few ideas I decided to try using white pantyhose to cover the squash.  The next day I went to the dollar store to buy some and lo and behold you can't find white pantyhose anywhere.  Who knew?  I guess white pantyhose went out with the 1980s and uniformed nurses.





Then I remembered a package of white tube socks that I have had in the basement for a year now while I try and convince my 17 year old son to wear them.  Anyone else have stubborn teenagers who will not wear the economical tube socks, but insist on wearing the very expensive wool hiking socks from Mountain Equipment Coop.  Sigh!  Anyway, it did occur to me that maybe I could make three of those poor neglected tube socks feel useful by making them into ghosts.  




It was really pretty easy.  I slipped pushed the squash into the socks and tied the tops.  Then I made eyes and mouths out of sticky-back felt.   


I have to say I think they are pretty darn cute.  And we can eat our little ghosties when Hallowe'en is done!




Happy Hallowe'en everyone!  

12 comments:

  1. Grace this is simply adorable! I love how you put your own spin on it too. They are so cute. Thanks so much for joining in. Enjoy the others, they are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, great thinking on using the tube scocks.

    Cathy's Cupboard Calamity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Grace what cute project you copied... its so charming and love to see that how perfectly you copied it... very lovely
    Happy if you come to see me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    with love from
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! Yeah, I guess one wouldn't find white pantihose anywhere! I can hardly find pantihose, period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You little ghosts are adorable. I would not have thought of covering the squash with tube socks.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to make the gourds look white with tube socks! You are very resourceful. They are a very cute addition to your front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute and clever is that! Enjoy your ghosties! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute, Grace! :D The adorable little ghosts have made me smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an adorable and Genius idea~!!! I'm amazed and inspired... wow.. what till my neighbor kids see these,, they'll want some for their room all year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What cute ghosts you have! They are adorable! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These turned out sooooo cute! I think I like the look and texture of the sock instead of paint! Wonderful job! I'm late visiting the party but enjoying it very much.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Grace, good copy cat job and what a smart idea to use the socks, LOL Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete