Monday, April 2, 2012

My New Easter Tablecloth

When my friend Kim and I were in Bangladesh last summer a friend gave us something that is called a three-piece.  It is three pieces of material that coordinate either in colour or pattern or both and you take it to the tailor to be made into a salwar kameez (like what Kim and I are wearing in the photo below).   








While we appreciated the generosity, there were two problems with the gift.  First, we didn't need any more salwar kameezes and second, the material was bright pink with embroidery on it.  Between you and me, we just weren't into wearing bright pink embroidered clothing from head to toe.  Fortunately Kim got the idea that we could make the material into Easter tablecloths. It was an inspired idea as now we had some way to use the gift and we would have a touch of Bangladesh on our Easter tables.  





So the other day I got the material out and lay it on the floor since it had now been eight  months since I had last seen it.  One piece had an all-over pattern (on the left in the photo below), one piece had a border of embroidery with scattered pieces down the middle (on the right), and one piece was plain (the folded piece lying in the middle).  I'm assuming the plain one is made into the pants, the all-over patterned one is for the tunic, and the one with a border is the scarf, but I'm not entirely sure.






Initially I was going to make a tablecloth by putting the piece with an all-over pattern down the middle and cutting the piece of material with a border in half lengthwise and sewing it down either side.  My husband suggested that I just use the piece with the all-over print and layer it over a white tablecloth to break up all that pink.  It was a brilliant idea and it looked great.  I decided to use fusible webbing instead of sewing as I didn't want to have seams showing along the bottom edge.  Once I had it all ironed I put it on the table to try it out along with one of the plates that we like to use for special occasions and that just happens to have pink flowers.




Don't they look like they were made for each other - dishes meet tablecloth, tablecloth meet dishes.



I bought this leaf-shaped bowl in Bangladesh as well, with the express purpose of using it to display our Easter eggs.   I'm going to put the Easter eggs in the middle of the table so I had to try them out too.  





I think it is all coming together.  Now we just need something to eat.
Pin It

Linked to the Bunny Blog Hop At the Picket Fence,
and Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

15 comments:

  1. Perfect! I love your new tablecloth and what a great way to use the material. Your dishes are such a great match too. Can't wait to hear what you serve! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty .... and a great reminder of your trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! What lovely fabric. You can use it now as a tablecloth and in the future, you may even decide to wear it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Nice when you can use it without cutting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and just perfect for Easter. The embroidery detail really makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tablecloth, and those eggs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous fabric and it really does look perfect with your dishes! You're going to have a beautiful Easter table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. The fabric is so pretty it would have been a waste not to use it for something. Your so smart to turn it into a table cloth. Adds just the right touch for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How smart is that! Good idea and original.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tablecloth came out gorgeous! I love the dishes with it, great and clever idea! I too love to make tablecloths out of anything, like I just did two table toppers that I'm using for my Easter tables in this post.. from my drapes that I changed to shades last Oct. Hope you visit me and see them at WOW US WEDNESDAY linky party. Wishing you a very HAPPY EASTER!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that your husband came up with the perfect idea. What a guy! The fabric is, of course, stunning. Destined to be a cherished heirloom. Thanks for linking up to our party too...glad you could make it. Happy Easteer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grace I love your table cloth. What a fabulous idea. I have some table cloths from India I need to pull out. Thanks for the inspiration and for this wonderful post! I would love it if you would share this at our What’s It Wednesday blog party. Hope to see you there.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A tablecloth in my fav colour! I {heart} it! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete