Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March Break

I'm so happy that it is the March Break. For once I have big plans that include both going to the cottage (yay!) and travel (double yay!). My all time worst March Break was spent toilet training one child and teaching the times tables to another. Thankfully that was years ago and things have been looking up since then!  

William and I went to the cottage for the weekend.  It was nice to get away and have one last bit of fun in the snow before we say goodbye to winter (or am I being wishful). 

I was struck by the gorgeous blues made by the shadows on the snow.






The temperatures were above freezing every day so the snow got progressively wetter and mushier as our weekend progressed.  If you stayed on the plowed road then the walking was good, but in the forest there was up to three feet of snow and you sunk down over your knees with every step.  Needless to say I mostly stayed on the road.


We were able to walk on the frozen lake which is always fun.  All that unmarked snow was just waiting to be used as a giant slate and covered in Chinese characters.



The chipmunks were out and about in great numbers.  They were sleepy and adorable sitting on the snow trying to wake up.



I'm not sure what creature made these trails in the snow, but I loved how they looked like ancient writings.


Does this last photo look 3-D?  Because it is.  My new camera creates 3-D photos.  Of course, I hadn't figured that out, but within about one minute of playing with my camera William had found that feature and mastered how to make them.


As for the rest of the March Break ... tomorrow morning bright and early William, and my parents, and I are going to New York City for four days.  We have in mind to spend lots of time in museums and art galleries which are right up our alley.  We also want to walk across (or halfway at least) the Brooklyn Bridge and visit Peck Slip to see the street named after our ancestors (which you can read about here).  

We will be in New York for St. Patrick's day.  It will be interesting to see how it is celebrated.  I doubt we will watch the parade as we have too much else to do, but I'm sure we will see evidence of the luck of the Irish everywhere. 

Kate's photo of the Brooklyn Bridge (I'm going to try a 3-D version when we are there)
Anyone else having a spring break?  Do you have big plans or restful stay-at-home plans?  Happy St. Patrick's Day my friends.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I'm constantly amazed at the beautiful blue colours in the snow here, as well as the "sparkles." I miss when my children were young and we had March break (I was a stay-at-home mom). My youngest is now in college and had a week off a couple weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty of our seasons and natural areas is really amazing, and you captured it so well. The 3D photo is really cool. Have fun in New York, it sounds like it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D LOVE looking at the winter wonderland! That photo did look 3D. I really wish I had a good camera. I might buy one once I sell a couple more paintings. I hope you enjoy NYC and the St. Patrick's Day Parade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like you had a lovely weekend in the snow. and The 3D photo looked super. Have a super time in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Pics!

    By the Way: you have a lovely Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful trip ! Loving your snowy photos. We have our spring break the first week of April. No major plans so far. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete